Hey everyone! How are you doing? I hope all is well!
So here we are continuing our discussion on J.I. Packer’s Concise Theology.
Understanding basic theological truths is important in the life of the believer. Again I reiterate what J.I Packer says,
“theology is for doxology and devotion—that is, the praise of God and the practice of godliness. “
GOD IS THE CREATOR
How many are your works,
O Lord! In wisdom you made them all;
the earth is full of your creatures.
“In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth” (Gen. 1:1)
He did it by fiat, without any preexisting material; his resolve that things should exist (“Let there be…”) called them into being and formed them in order with an existence that depended on his will yet was distinct from his own. Father, Son, and Holy Spirit were involved together (Gen. 1:2; Pss. 33:6, 9; 148:5; John 1:1-3; Col. 1:15-16; Heb. 1:2; 11:3). Points to note are as follows:
(a) The act of creation is mystery to us; there is more in it than we can understand. We cannot create by fiat, and we do not know how God could. To say that he created “out of nothing” is to confess the mystery, not explain it. In particular, we cannot conceive how dependent existence can be distinct existence, nor how angels and human beings in their dependent existence can be not robots but creatures capable of free decisions for which they are morally accountable to their Maker. Yet Scripture everywhere teaches us that this is the way it is.
(b) Space and time are dimensions of the created order; God is not “in” either; nor is he bound by either as we are.
(c) As the world order is not self-created, so it is not self-sustaining, as God is. The stability of the universe depends on constant divine upholding; this is a specific ministry of the divine Son (Col. 1:17; Heb. 1:3), and without it every creature of every kind, ourselves included, would cease to be. As Paul told the Athenians, “he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else.… In him we live and move and have our being” (Acts 17:25, 28).
(d) The possibility of creative intrusions (e.g., miracles of creative power; creating new persons through human procreative activity; reorienting human hearts and redirecting human desires and energies in regeneration) is as old as the cosmos itself. How far God in his upholding activity actually continues to create new things that cannot be explained in terms of anything that went before, it is beyond our power to know; but certainly his world remains open to his creative power at every point.
Knowing that God created the world around us, and ourselves as part of it, is basic to true religion.
God is to be praised as Creator, by reason of the marvelous order, variety, and beauty of his works. Psalms such as Psalm 104 model this praise. God is to be trusted as the sovereign Lord, with an eternal plan covering all events and destinies without exception, and with power to redeem, re-create and renew; such trust becomes rational when we remember that it is the almighty Creator that we are trusting. Realizing our moment-by-moment dependence on God the Creator for our very existence makes it appropriate to live lives of devotion, commitment, gratitude, and loyalty toward him, and scandalous not to. Godliness starts here, with God the sovereign Creator as the first focus of our thoughts.
Amen to that!
Source: Packer, J. I. Concise Theology: A Guide to Historic Christian Beliefs. Wheaton, IL: Tyndale House, 1993.
Always, for God’s glory and our joy in Him!
- Foundation of David Discipleship Part Two (mudpreacher.org)
- General Revelation: God’s Reality is Know To All (kevinnunez.org)
- Knowledge: True Knowledge of God Comes Through Faith (kevinnunez.org)
- Revelation: Scripture is THE WORD OF GOD. (kevinnunez.org)
- Interpretation: Christians Can Understand The Word of God (kevinnunez.org)
- Inward Witness: Scripture is Authenticated by The Holy Spirit (kevinnunez.org)
- Theology Is For Everyone – J.I. Packer (allsufficientgrace.wordpress.com)
- Behind The Song – Psalm 63 (kerithworship.wordpress.com)
- J.I. Packer On Holiness And Conflict (samuelatgilgal.wordpress.com)
- Authority: God Governs His People Through Scripture (kevinnunez.org)
- Authority (hopeforallmin.wordpress.com)
- Two Weeks on Prayers of the Bible (boundlessblog.wordpress.com)
- Was Jesus begotten and what does begotten mean (wiki.answers.com)
- Psalm 98 (Our God does marvelous things) (anchorforthesoul.org)
- Names of God (part deux) (godfamilycountrylove.wordpress.com)
- Did God the Father exist before God the Son (wiki.answers.com)
- Why Does God Create His Creatures With Differences? (pukirahe.wordpress.com)
- Did God create evil? (savouringthegospel.wordpress.com)
- The Kingdom of God (kevinnunez.org)
- JI Packer – God’s Promises: The Foundation of Our Faith (pjcockrell.wordpress.com)