Hey everyone! How are you? I hope all is well!
The following comes from Oswald Chambers My Utmost for His Highest: Selections for the Year.
Today I felt like sharing this because this is a passage I have wrestled with in the past and I think Oswald Chambers does a good job in explaining it briefly. He is speaking to believers who because of sin in their lives may feel far from God. Maybe you have said to yourself at some point in your Christian conversion, I miss feeling close to God. Maybe someone has shared that with you and you don’t know what to say to them.
Am I carnally minded?
Whereas there is among you jealousy and strife, are ye not carnal? 1 Cor. 3:3.
No natural man knows anything about carnality. The flesh lusting against the Spirit that came in at regeneration, and the Spirit lusting against the flesh, produces carnality. “Walk in the Spirit,” says Paul, “and ye shall not fulfil the lusts of the flesh”; and carnality will disappear.
Are you contentious, easily troubled about trifles? ‘Oh, but no one who is a Christian ever is!’ Paul says they are, he connects these things with carnality. Is there a truth in the Bible that instantly awakens petulance in you? That is a proof that you are yet carnal. If sanctification is being worked out, there is no trace of that spirit left.
If the Spirit of God detects anything in you that is wrong, He does not ask you to put it right; He asks you to accept the light, and He will put it right. A child of the light confesses instantly and stands bared before God; a child of the darkness says—‘Oh, I can explain that away.’ When once the light breaks and the conviction of wrong comes, be a child of the light, and confess, and God will deal with what is wrong; if you vindicate yourself, you prove yourself to be a child of the darkness.
(The previous paragraph is huge to understand.) Read the following…
Walking in the Light
5 This is the message we have heard from him and proclaim to you, that God is light, and in him is no darkness at all. 6 If we say we have fellowship with him while we walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. 7 But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. 8 If we say we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say we have not sinned, we make him a liar, and his word is not in us.
1 John 1:5–10 ESV
What is the proof that carnality has gone? Never deceive yourself; when carnality is gone it is the most real thing imaginable. God will see that you have any number of opportunities to prove to yourself the marvel of His grace. The practical test is the only proof. ‘Why,’ you say, ‘if this had happened before, there would have been the spirit of resentment!’ You will never cease to be the most amazed person on earth at what God has done for you on the inside.
Source: Chambers, Oswald. My Utmost for His Highest: Selections for the Year. Grand Rapids, MI: Discovery House Publishers, 1993.
Always, for God’s glory and our joy in Him!
- Friendship With God – Daily Devotion By Oswald Chambers (gospelbondservant.com)
- Am I Carnally Minded? – Daily Devotion By Oswald Chambers (gospelbondservant.com)
- The Burning Heart – Daily Devotion By Oswald Chambers (gospelbondservant.com)
- Shall I Rouse Myself Up To This? – Daily Devotion By Oswald Chambers (gospelbondservant.com)
- Interest Or Identification? – Daily Devotion By Oswald Chambers (gospelbondservant.com)
- Showers of Blessings (rosary2007.wordpress.com)
- Co-Crucifixion by Oswald Chambers (jesusnameaboveall.wordpress.com)
- Friendship with G-d | Oswald Chambers… & me… (unhealthygirl.com)
- My Utmost for His Highest Oswald Chambers (afeatheronthebreathofgod.com)
- The Way of Abraham in Faith | Oswald Chambers… & some of my thoughts… (unhealthygirl.com)
- New Man, New Virtues – by Oswald Chambers (stevensawyer.wordpress.com)
- Amid A Crowd Of Paltry Things – Daily Devotion By Oswald Chambers (gospelbondservant.com)
- The Master Assizes – Daily Devotion By Oswald Chambers (gospelbondservant.com)
- Who is More Blessed? (faithfulprovisions.com)
- The Burning Heart | Oswald Chambers & me… (unhealthygirl.com)
- ^UR: And I pray God your whole spirit an (rosary2007.wordpress.com)
- Trench On Carnal Desires After Miracles (withalliamgod.wordpress.com)
- Don’t Be A Baby (the1stfollower.com)
- Being carnally minded is DEATH according to Paul (bjorkbloggen.wordpress.com)
- The Secret Things Belong Unto The Lord Our God (bummyla.wordpress.com)
- The Confessions of Your Mouth (momsfirstscreenn.wordpress.com)
- Our helper, understanding (simpleme2.wordpress.com)
- Set free from the carnal man. (overcomersbytheblood.wordpress.com)
- How Can I Please God? (wellbymel.com)